Thursday, June 25, 2009

WAM! Stencil!

So, for class I had to do a stencil design and utilize it on a surface. First off this class interests me a lot because, believe it or not, I'm writing a book, but I'm inspired by so many different sources of information and I use different formats to write, but I'm not sure how to put them all together. Hopefully I'll learn somethings in this class that will help.

Anyway, on to the stencil. My idea came from the book I'm writing. Its a little complex, at least to explain, but basically its about Eris, a name my central character chooses about midway through, who we learn is kidnapped. Around the time of her kidnapping, there have been a series of murders occurring on the East Coast. Bodies found are terribly disfigured and mutilated, also the cities where they happen are spread along the coast, making it difficult for authorities to conclude if this is the same person or persons, or copy-cats. By the time of Eris' kidnapping, the murders have been going on for about 3-4 months, and the public is scared and outraged at their continuation. They begin to blame the police, and there is growing social unrest. Especially now with the speculation that Eris' body will turn up as the next victim. On top of this, there is another issue, seeing that Eris is one of the first nationally publicized kidnappings where the victim is a minority female, people discuss the issue that it took being linked to these murders in order for her case to widely publicized, supporting the idea of MWWS (missing white woman syndrome) being the criteria one has to meet for their case to be highly public.

Sorry, about all that. Anyway, my stencil happened upon some technical difficulties. So, I warned you. Don't expect much. I did, and I was disappointed. LOL.

I started with this idea:



















Then I thought this might be better:















Finally I settled on that face, and cut it out of cardboard, then used it, but I didn't think about the space around the head. Also for some reason even with tape I couldn't stop the paint from getting under the cardboard cut out, I think I sprayed too close and the air was lifting it...I dunno. So I had trouble.

















So, in retrospect, I would not cut the entire head out, instead I should have left cardboard around it. I don't know why I cut the whole head out...I just did, it would have saved me work not to. Also I cut out the letters and filled them permanent marker. I think I would rather cut out typed letters and used red spray paint, but I didn't have any last night, or use red acrylic paint. I think I might tape her onto some paper and remake her, because I like the image and the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment